Tangonero is a new Argentine Tango band based in San Francisco. We specialize in classic tango — a genre that fuses intense passion with quiet tenderness, alternating sharp percussive rhythms with slow nostalgic melodies. It squeezes your heart to tears and then sets your feet to dancing.
Accordionist Alex Roitman: Born and raised in Moscow, Russia, Alex Roitman started playing piano when he was 7 years old. He currently studies accordion with Peter DiBono, exploring various genres. In addition to tango, he specifically enjoys playing Klezmer, Italian, French musette, and Russian music.
Besides Tangonero, Alex performed with different bands and musicians:
- Go Van Gogh – a versatile San Francisco band
- Crystal Philippi – a mezzo-soprano vocalist
- Brandon Evans – a classical guitarist
- Nothingset Ensemble – a classical and contemporary music group
- Pure Piaf – a musical about the life and music of Edith Piaf
Guitarist Zac “Sharbidar” Selissen has graduated from Saint Thomas University in St. Paul, Minnesota, in Classical and Jazz Guitar. He then graduated in Classical Guitar from the San Francisco Conservatory of music. Zac’s interests include Spanish guitar music, Jazz, as well as Classic Tango and Tango Nuevo.